Tuesday, July 21, 2020

How to fix RMAN-04006 when cloning from active database




Background:
During an attempt to clone database using active duplication, I received an error when testing my connectivity to the target and auxiliary server. I normally do a testrun first, to see if I can connect without problems, before I start my cloning script.

My script to test the connection is simple and called "testconnection.cmd".
The connections are made through a wallet, so that you do not have to expose your passwords in any scripts or any shell prompts. See my previous post for details about setting up a wallet.
connect target /@proddb01.oric.no
connect auxiliary /@testdb01.oric.no
run{
allocate channel c1 type disk;
allocate channel c2 type disk;
allocate auxiliary channel aux1 type disk;
allocate auxiliary channel aux2 type disk;
configure device type disk parallelism 2;
}
exit

Execute it as follows:
rman cmdfile=testconnection.cmd

connected to target database: prodb01 (DBID=2078894010, not open)
connected to auxiliary database (not started)

RMAN-04006: error from auxiliary database: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

Cause:
Incorrect password in the auxiliary database

Solution:
Copy the password file from your target database server to your auxiliary database server and retry the operation.

When all is good, the output from the auxiliary database should be
connected to auxiliary database: testdb01 (not mounted)

No comments:

Post a Comment